Allow us to help you make your mattress shopping a breeze, here, we’ll explain the difference between mattress sizes and which one will be most suitable for your bedroom and sleep comfort. Whether you’re sleeping like a starfish by yourself or want to snuggle up with your partner or pets, the perfect mattress size is here.
What Are the Different Bed Sizes?
The most popular bed sizes generally range from Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. These size mattresses are widely available with at least one being the perfect size for your height and bedroom. The most popular bed size in America is Queen, perfect for a single who enjoys plenty of space or couple who sleeps all snuggled.
What Is the Most Popular Bed Size for Couples?
That depends on your couple’s sleep style and height. If you’re a couple who sleep snuggled up together all night then a Queen bed could be perfect for you. If you’re a couple who enjoy a little more room to stretch out or allow kids or pets on the bed, opt for a King or California King for extra space. Or learning what is a split king bed may be a good option. A split king bed comprises two twin XL mattresses side by side on a single bed frame. When used with an adjustable split king base, having two separate mattresses allows couples to independently adjust each side of the bed.
Twin: The Twin mattress is 38 inches wide by 75 inches long. The slim size makes it perfect for two children sharing one bedroom because two Twin beds can easily fit side-by-side in a regular children’s bedroom. The Twin mattress will fit snuggly on bunk beds, smaller guest rooms, and bedrooms that may be oddly shaped. A Twin mattress will be an ideal addition to a child’s bedroom or a small guest bedroom.
Twin XL: The Twin XL mattress is 38 inches wide by 80 inches long. Recent graduates, college students, and preteens will find comfort on a Twin XL bed. The total sleep area of a Twin XL size mattress is 21ft² and gives one person 38 inches of personal space. A Twin XL mattress will be a cozy addition to a small apartment.
Full: The Full mattress is 54 inches wide by 75 inches long. Smaller-framed adults will find these dimensions comfortable while teens and children will grow into a full size bed. The total sleep area of a Full-size mattress is 28ft² and gives one person 27 inches of personal space. When considering a full vs. queen size bed, thing about whether you bedroom or apartment can fit a double bed.
Queen: The Queen mattress is 60 inches wide by 80 inches long. These dimensions make it a great size for couples who sleep close together or singles who like plenty of space. The minimum room size for queen bed must be able to fit its sleep area of 33ft² that gives you 30 inches of personal space per person. When considering a king vs. queen bed, a king may be more suitable if you’re a couple who need plenty of stretch-out space. However, a Queen size mattress is ideal for most people.
King: The King size mattress dimensions are 76 inches wide by 80 inches long. A couple will have lots of space for themselves, small children, and pets. The room size for king bed must be able to fit the sleeping area of 42ft² that gives you 38 inches of personal space per adult. A King size bed provides ample sleep space, with plenty of room to move around. If you think a Queen size mattress a little too small for your needs, you will be very happy with a King size mattress.
California King: The California King mattress is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long. When comparing a king vs. California king, tall adults will favor the California King mattress because it takes 4 inches of width off a King mattress and adds it to the length of a Cal King, giving an extra long sleep space. The total sleep area of the California King is 42ft² and gives you 36 inches of personal space per adult. A California King size mattress will fit perfectly in a narrow room and provide a comfortable sleep space for a couple with small children or pets.
What Bed Size Should I Get? The Crucial Points
What Size Bed Should I Get for My Room?
- Twin: To fit a Twin size bed (that is 38"x75") with walking space around the bed and room for a small dresser and other furniture. The bedroom should be a minimum of 7x10 square feet in size or 70 square feet.
- Twin XL: To fit a Twin XL size bed (that is 38"x80") and leaving room for additional furniture and walking space around the bed. The bedroom should be a minimum of 7x10 square feet in size.
- Full: To fit a Full-size bed (that is 54”x75”) and leaving room for extra furniture. The bedroom should be a minimum of 10x12 square feet in size or 120 square feet.
- Queen: To fit a Queen size bed (that is 60”x80”) while still leaving enough space around the bed with room for extra furniture. The minimum room size for queen bed is 10x10 square feet in size.
- King: To fit a King size bed (that is 76”x80”) while leaving room for two nightstands and a dresser. The room size for king bed should be a minimum of 12x12 square feet in size.
- California King: To fit a California King size bed (that is 72”x84”) while leaving room for extra furniture. The bedroom should be a minimum of 10x12 square feet in size, because of the additional length of the bed.
What Size Bed Should I Get for My Height?
If you’re under 6ft tall, you might find sleep comfort in a Twin XL, Full, Queen, or King size bed. A California King is designed for those over 6th tall (and considered a celebrity bed) because it’s 4 inches longer than a King.
What Size Bed Should I Get as a Side Sleeper?
Side sleepers require a special type of sleep comfort because the sensitive shoulder and hip areas are most vulnerable. A modern mattress designed with side sleepers in mind is AirFoam™, a revolutionary new mattress material that is pressure relieving and cooling (an almost impossible combination of benefits to find).
Depending on your height, you could find great sleep comfort in a Queen size AirFoam™ mattress but that depends on a few factors, are you sharing the bed, your sleep position. If you’re over 6ft tall, opt for a California King because of its additional length.
What Size Bed Should I Get as a Back/Stomach Sleeper?
Stomach sleepers must be careful to sleep on a pressure relieving mattress because the lower back area could suffer much strain if not adequately supported. Also, stomach sleepers sleep with their elbows out so it might be best to opt for a King size to allow room for stretching out.
What Size Bed Should I Get as a Single Sleeper?
If you’re a single sleeper a Twin XL could be the perfect size bed for you. A Full will give you a little more space If you’ll have a kid or pet on the bed or just fancy some stretch out space. Or if you have the bedroom size for queen bed, this could be a luxurious option.
What Is the Most Popular Bed Size for Couples?
If you have the bedroom size for king bed, this could provide ample space for a couple. The minimum room size for king bed is 12x12 square feet in size. If you don’t have space, a Queen bed could be comfortable for a couple who sleep snuggled up.
What Size Bed Should I Get? Tips
- Consider your height
- Will you be sharing the bed?
- What are the measurements of your sleep space?
- What is your sleep position?
- What is your budget?
- Does your online mattress retailer offer a trial?
As you can see, it takes a little bit of preparation to find the perfect bed size for you.
- Measuring your sleep space
- Consider how much space you need around the bed
- Will the mattress suit your height?
- Will the mattress accommodate a partner, kids, or pets?
- Do I have a bed base that will allow air to ventilate through the mattress, keeping it fresh and prolonging its lifespan?
- Am I within budget?
- Does my online retailer offer financing?
- Does my online retailer offer a trial with free delivery and easy return process?
- What’s the warranty on my new bed?
- Am I dealing with a reputable retailer?
It’s advisable to shop with an online mattress retailer that offers you a minimum 100-night trial with free delivery and easy returns. It’s also crucial to note the warranty, it ought to be at least 10-years. A reputable online store will help you find the perfect bed size for your room, height, and sleep comfort.